This course is open to Master Students Data Science, Computer Science.
This course provides a Fieldlab which prepares students for application of data science in real-life settings. Students work in Fieldlabs on real data problems. The students will explore the problem provided in the fieldlab, research data availability, investigate the quality of the data and designing of tools which can be deployed for a solution that addresses the problem. The context of the problem will be investigated, including the relevant data regulatory framework. The Fieldlab will be addressing problems in the context of the Virus Outbreak Data Network (VODAN). Materials will be provided during the course.
- Demonstrable ability to use tools to structure a full data science project cycle from problem to solution
- Skills developed to work in an interdisciplinary, group and real-life setting
- Skills to report on design studies at academic level
- Knowledge of concepts related to centralized and distributed data collection and visiting and associated concepts of determining data quality
- Knowledge of boundaries for development of solutions in real-life within ethical and regulatory limitations
- Knowledge to determining data representation for proposed solutions and limitations of use-case
- Knowledge on adoption processes of innovative solutions
As provided on the student website
Mode of instruction
Assessment and grading method (in percentages):
Retake possible of essay (40%)
To complete the final mark, please take notice of the following:
1) the final grade for the course is established by determining the weighted average
2) the final grade for the course is established by (i) determination of the weighted average combined with (ii) additional requirements. These additional requirements generally relate to one or more of the subtests always be sufficient
Also state if (and if there is how) there is opportunity to re-take the exam.
The teacher will inform the students how the inspection of and follow-up discussion of the exams will take place.
Background reading (for interest on Fieldlabs):
TNO report TNO 2018 R10453 Going Digital: Field labs to accelerate the digitization of the Dutch Industry Date May 31 2018
Other reading material and tools offered during the course
You have to sign up for courses and exams (including retakes) in uSis. Check this link for information about how to register for courses.
Please also register for the course in Brightspace.
For any special needs in relation to group work, please contact the teacher