nl en

LOT Summer School/Winter School


LOT Summer School/Winter School

Participation in a research school is mandatory to all research master (RM) students. To complete your research master’s, you have to obtain 10 EC of courses at a research school. LOT is the Netherlands National Graduate School of Linguistics. The LOT courses are best suited to the reserach master's programme in Linguistics.

What courses do I have to attend?

If students choose LOT to obtain the 10 EC of research school credits, students are required to:

  • take two RM1 courses of LOT Winter School for 2,5 EC each.

  • take three regular courses of LOT Winter- or Summer school for 1 EC each.

  • write one paper for one of the regular courses attended. The paper will give an additional 2 EC.

Optional: Leiden Summer School of Languages and Linguistics
RM students are allowed to gain 5 of the 10 LOT credits by participating in the Leiden Summer School in Languages and Linguistics. Students can therefore either take 10 EC of LOT courses or 5 EC of LOT courses and 5 EC of courses in the Leiden Summer School of Languages and Linguistics. The Leiden Summer School can only be a substitute for the LOT Summer School. The RM1 courses in the LOT Winter School remain obligatory. Visit LOT website for more information.

How do I have register for the LOT courses?

You have to register for the courses via the website of LOT. You will be notified by the coordinator of studies when registration for the winter- or summerschool opens.

What are the requirements for the paper?

Students need to negociate the exact requirements of the paper with the LOT instructor. Note that you have to ask a lecturer of Leiden University to grade the paper.

How do I obtain the actual 10 EC?

Around 8 weeks after the end of the Winter- or Summer school, students who have passed their course will automatically receive the LOT certificate from the LOT office. Please collect the certificates and send them to the Board of Examiners once you met all the requirements. The ECs will then be registered in usis.