Master students of Child and Adolescent Psychology.
Satisfactory completion of the course is necessary to start with the internship.
This Masters-level course provides education and training in the psycho diagnostic process of children with cognitive and social-emotional problems, including learning disabilities and/or psychopathological problems. It builds upon the 2nd year Bachelors course in Psycho-diagnostics and Psychometrics.
This Master course focuses on an integration of the various diagnostic processes mentioned above, by emphasizing the different stages in the psycho diagnostic process:
- intake/ interview
- developing hypotheses
- selecting criteria and materials (tests, questionnaires, observations etc.) for hypothesis testing
- testing the child
- integrating the data
- Formulating recommendations and interventions
Integrated diagnostic skills will be developed through:
- training practical skills
- scoring and interpretation of test data
- demonstration and use of the various diagnostic tools
- practical training in anamnesis and social-interactive skills (with parents, children)
- report writing
- testing children at their homes and in schools.
Various case histories supported with video demonstrations will be used to introduce the various psycho-diagnostic problem domains to the student. Student will be given the opportunity to experience the diagnostic process through participation in and observation of various diagnostic activities.
The main objectives of this course are:
- Students will acquire advanced knowledge of the psycho diagnostic processes.
- Students will acquire skills necessary for various stages in the diagnostic process (from intake to advice)
Advanced Psycho-diagnostics in Children and Adolescents (2010-2011):
Mode of instruction
- Plenary lectures
- (smaller) workgroups
- Video demonstrations
- Guest speakers
- Verbal examinations (various), integrating of theory and practice.
- Two written case reports
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
For Dutch Speaking Students:
- Kievit, Th., Tak, J.A., Bosch, J.D. (2008, 7e druk) (Eds.). Handboek psychodiagnostiek voor de hulpverlening aan kinderen. Utrecht: de Tijdstroom.
- Pameijer, N.K., Beukering, J.T.E. van (2004). Handelingsgerichte diagnostiek: een praktijkmodel voor diagnostiek en advisering bij onderwijsleerproblemen. Leuven: Acco.
- Verschueren, K & Koomen, H. (2007). Handboek Diagnostiek in de leerlingbegeleiding. Antwerpen-Apeldoorn: Garant
For English Speaking Students:
• To be announced
• Various articles which will be announced later on Blackboard.
Introduction and enrolment for courses of the first semester will take place on 2 September 2010. Introduction and enrolment for courses of the second semester will take place in 27 January 2011. More information will be available at the website of the Institute of Psychology.
drs. T. Bosma
contact via secretary room 3B48
phone +31 71 5273644