Master’s students Psychology preferably with specialisation Health psychology, Occupational Health Psychology or Clinical Psychology.
This elective course is developed to familiarize psychology students with health psychology in practical settings. Six practising health psychologists will describe in the sessions the background and essential tasks of:
- their work
- covering primary health care
- health promotion
- psychology in general hospitals
- rehabilitation settings
- and paediatric psychology.
In addition, students will receive practical assignments from each health psychologist related to a case, assessment, consultation, intervention or other professional action.
- Students get to know the backgrounds and essential tasks of health psychologists in practical settings
- Students will get a better perspective of future jobs and requirements to acquire these jobs
- Students acquire skills concerning diagnosis, counselling, interventions or health promotion through assignments
- Students learn to reflect and comment on health psychology practice
Health Psychology in Practice (2011-2012):
Mode of instruction
- 6 lectures (2 hours)
- 6 work groups, with (group)assignments (4 hours)
- Final end paper
NB. Presence in all sessions is obligatory, missing one session (when announced beforehand and with reason) can be compensated with an alternative assignment. Missing more sessions is not allowed.
The grade will be composed of the final end paper (80%) and assignments (20%).
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Michie, S Abraham, C. (2004). Health psychology in practice (recommended)
- Additional reading materials will be posted on blackboard
Master’s introduction and enrolment day
Make a reservation in your agenda so you will not miss any information that you will need during your master’s programme MSc in Psychology. Please consult the Agenda master meetings
Dr. C. Verhoeven
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 4069