Master students specialisation Applied Cognitive Psychology
Will it rain tomorrow? Shall I buy a travel insurance? Is this person guilty? And should I worry about this medical test outcome? We all face a perplexing array of judgments and decisions every day. In this course, we review the main theories in judgment and decision making, and we consider applications in both every day and professional decision problems.
Specialised knowledge about psychological theories of judgment and decision making, and reflection on possibilities and limitations of applying this knowledge in various practical domains.
Decision Making: Theory and practice (2011-2012):
Mode of instruction
- Lectures (including guest lectures from professional decision making experts)
- Workgroup sessions (compulsory)
- Exam; multiple choice and essay questions about the book
- Report of results of an experiment carried out in research group (group work)
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Newell, B.R., Lagnado, D.A., and Shanks, D.R. (2007). Straight Choices. The psychology of decision making. Psychology Press.
- Further reading to be selected in research groups
Master’s introduction and enrolment day
Make a reservation in your agenda so you will not miss any information that you will need during your master’s programme MSc in Psychology. Please consult the Agenda master meetings
Registration for the (re)exam is not automatic. Students, who haven’t registered, cannot participate in the (re)exam
Dr. F. Poletiek