Since language is one of the most practical repositories of culture, what better way to learn about a culture than from the inside-out, namely through the language? This seminar is an intensive immersion into Trio language and culture, and teaches you how to think like an Amerindian.
Develop a working vocabulary of basic Trio language words
- Recognize the Trio writing system, produce Trio sounds, and write from dictation
- Develop and use a vocabulary necessary for everyday usage
- Write out basic Trio vocabulary in thesaurus style, according to semantic domains
- Learn to produce and use simple sentences and questions according to the conversational needs of beginners
- Demonstrate comprehension of frequently used words and expressions in simple spoken questions, statements, commands and social context
- Recognize and use basic grammatical elements of the Trio language, i.e. the word classes and transitions between word classes
- Learn to read a Trio text and write a morphological interlinear translation
- Discuss the history of the Trio group and learn about the national context
- Identify cultural aspects of language use, usage, and specialized vocabularies
- Group activities: each year students of the Trio class work on a project of their own choice which culminates in a product (e.g., film, book, educational material) that is given to the Trio.
h3. Timetable Timetable
Mode of instruction
Written exam and assignments.
Will be given during class.
Aanmelden als student via uSis
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Study in Leiden website for information on how to apply.
For more information contact teacher: Carlin