Comprehension of German is a big advantage, as is some familiarity with Nietzsche’s works.
Toehoorders / à la carte-studenten hebben alleen toegang tot deze cursus met toestemming van de docent.
A course examining art and its relation to theoretical discourse in Nietzsche and some post-Nietzschean thinkers. The central question derives from Nietzsche’s claim that art is the ‘necessary correlative and supplement of theory’. Does this take the side of art against reason (Habermas), or does it name a more complex, internal relation in which art, in its very otherness, makes good the failures of reason? We will trace the constellation of art, theory and life in its transformations across Nietzsche’s work from The Birth of Tragedy to the late Nachlass , where art is cast as the ‘counter-movement to nihilism’. Heidegger’s Der Wille zur Macht als Kunst provides the bridge to further post-Nietzschean thinkers, including: Derrida, Foucault, Bataille, Blanchot, Kofman, Blondel and Deleuze.
Course objectives will be made available on Blackboard at the start of the course.
Mode of instruction
Lectures and seminars
- Active participation in the seminars including seminar-assignments and oral presentations (20%).
- Paper (80%) on a topic of the student’s choice, subject to the express approval of the instructor.
- Various texts from the ‘Kritische Studienausgabe’ (DTV/de Gruyter, 1980ff.) of Nietzsche’s writings;
- Heidegger’s ‘Der Wille zur Macht als Kunst’;
- A selection of secondary material to be discussed in the seminars.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Na aanmelding ook inschrijven voor cursus en tentamen via uSis