Only available for BDMS students and BDMS exchange students. Others may contact the course organisers.
In the world of publishing, scholarship, academic libraries and the cultural heritage sector the Internet offers more than an alternative for printed communication. The digital medium has brought a wealth of entirely new opportunities and technological possibilities. This course gives a very practical introduction to some of the most widely used technologies in these fields for creating, enriching, storing and disseminating textual information in digital form. Topics that will be addressed include the medium-independent markup of text through XML, the organisation of digital content in relational databases and in content management systems, and methods of web presentation and publication. The course will provide hands-on experience with programming languages and metadata vocabularies.
• Acquire an insight into the lifecycle of digital objects;
• Learn to analyse the use of the digital medium in the world of publishing, scholarship, academic libraries and the cultural heritage sector;
• Are familiarised with the way in which XML can enhance the access to publications, both physically and intellectually.
• Learn how digital content can be presented on-line;
• Gain insight in designing, implementing and searching a database;
• Are familiarised with a number of international metadata formats.
The timetable will be available by June 1st on www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/book-digital-media-studies.
Mode of instruction
One-hour lecture and two-hour seminar per week.
Limited Blackboard support.
Electronic reader; online tutorials.
Students should register through uSis. Exchange students cannot register through uSis, but must see the director of studies and register with her. If you have any questions, please contact the departmental office, tel. 071 5272144 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Study in Leiden website for information on how to apply
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
Departmental Office English Language and Culture, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 102C. Tel. 071 5272144; mail.
Co-ordinator of Studies: Ms T.D. Obbens, MA, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 103C.