Master students of Clinical Neuropsychology. Prior knowledge is assumed on a level of the Ba3 course Clinical Neuropsychology.
This course provides a practical training in clinical neuropsychological assessment, diagnostic work-up and writing a clinical report of cognitive, emotional and/or behavioural consequences as result of (possible) neurological or psychiatric disease in adult and elderly patients. All instructors are clinical neuropsychologists working in the (academic) health service.
The course involves 7 seminars (3 hrs) addressing the following content domains:
- Personal history taking and observations
- Memory, mood and behaviour
- Global cognitive functioning
- Executive functioning
- Gnosis, praxis, academic functioning, malingering
- Clinical case extended
Additionally, in most seminars we will discuss cases of the neuropsychology or memory outpatient clinic of the LUMC (e.g. neuropsychological profiles of Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, CADASIL, Whiplash, depression, etc.). By learning to ask relevant questions, students will come to a diagnosis on which they will be evaluated.
This course aims to provide students with basic professional skills for competent professional practice of neuropsychology:
- History taking
- Choosing the right instruments
- Neuropsychological testing
- Interpretation (diagnosis)
- Writing a clinical report
Adult and Old-Age Clinical Neuropsychology: Clinical Practice (2012-2013):
Mode of instruction
Experiential training with patient videos, case demonstrations of LUMC neuropsychology / memory outpatient clinic and practical training in testing. Attendance to all meetings is obligatory.
- Active participation in the program
- Patient demonstrations
- Clinical case report
- A practical assignment
From January 1, 2006 the Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted the Ephorus system to be used by instructors for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. Please see the information concerning fraud .
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
All suggested reading:
- Lezak, M.D., D.B. Howieson, D.W. Loring. Neuropsychological assessment (4th Edition). Oxford University Press 2004. ISBN: 0-19-511121-4.
- Strub R.L. F.W. Black. F.A. The mental status examination in Neurology (3rd Edition). Davis Company 1993. ISBN: 0-8036-8212-3.
- Marshall,M. (Edt.). Perspectives on rehabilitation and dementia. Jessica Kingsley Publishers London 2005. ISBN: 1-84310-286-2.
- Vanderploeg, R.D. (Edt.). Clinician’s guide to neuropsychological assessment (2nd Edition). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publicers London 2000. ISBN 0-8058-2834-6
Available at Boekenbalie Labyrint
Students need to enrol for the course via uSis on the master’s introduction and course enrolment day that takes place at the start of each semester. Please, consult the master’s agenda Psychology.
Drs. S.L. Beetz
FSW, Unit Clinical, Health and Neuropsychology, room 4B13
Telephone 071-527 5228