Bachelor degree in Law.
International organisations play an important role in today’s international society. In this course the most important elements of the law of international organisations will be examined, including rules on membership, institutional structure, decision-making and decisions, financing and legal personality. Special attention will be paid to the practice within the United Nations system, but regional organisations will also be discussed (in particular the EU). Special attention will also be given to issues arising in practice (both in the papers and in two guest lectures). The course is linked to the research programme ‘securing the rule of law in a world of multilevel jurisdiction.’
Objectives of the course
The main objective of this course is to familiarize students with a number of fundamentals of international institutional law – that is the body of rules governing the legal status, structure and functioning of international organizations.
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:
Knowledge: After successfully completing this course, the student has a thorough knowledge of and insight into the existing legal framework, the fundaments and the system of the law and practice of international organizations. The student has a profound knowledge of the specific rules and regulations that were studied during the course and of the interrelationship between those rules. Moreover, the student is well aware of the political and social context in which these rules are applied.
Academic skills and attitude: After successfully completing this course, the student is able to interpret and analyse the relevant literature and sources critically and to present solutions for legal problems after thorough legal research. The student is also trained to present these solutions both orally and in writing in a structured way. The student is able to present his own opinion on relevant legal matters on the basis of sound and convincing legal arguments and to defend this opinion in a legal debate.
The timetable of this course can be found in uSis.
Mode of instruction
- Number of (2 hour) lectures: 10 (1 per week)
- Names of lecturers: Prof. dr. Niels M. Blokker; guest lecturers to be announced
- Required preparation by students: Studying of suggested materials
- Number of (2 hour) seminars: 10 (1 per week)
- Names of instructors: Dr. Robert W. Heinsch and Dr. Erik V. Koppe
- Required preparation by students: Students will have to prepare by reading the materials and preparing answers to the questions and issues published on Blackboard beforehand. In addition, they will have to prepare three in-depth papers on prescribed topics, which will be the basis for discussion in class.
Other methods of instruction
- Exam (70%)
- Three papers (30%)
The papers must be submitted at indicated times. More specific information will be given in the outline and on Blackboard.
Areas to be tested within the exam
The examination syllabus consists of the required reading (literature) for the course, the course information guide and the subjects taught in the lectures, the seminars and all other instructions which are part of the course.
More information on this course is offered in Blackboard.
Obligatory course materials
H.G. Schermers & N.M. Blokker, International Institutional Law, Martinus Nijhoff, 5th revised edition (2011).
Course information guide:
Outline as posted on Blackboard.
Recommended course materials
To be announced on Blackboard.
Registration for seminars and exams through uSis. Also register on Blackboard for extra course information.
- Co-ordinator: Mr. Dr. Erik V. Koppe
- Work address: KOG, Office B1.29
- Contact information: via e-mail
- Telephone number: 071-527 7578 (secretary)
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Institute: Public Law
- Division: Public International Law
- Room number secretariat: KOG, Office B1.21
- Opening hours: 9.00-17.00 hrs
- Telephone number secretariat: 071-527 7578
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO.