Reading Akkadian source texts from the third (OAkk), second (O/MB, O/Mass) or first millennium (N/LB, Nass).
The student reads selected texts in cuneiform, transliterates them in class, gives a translation and grammatical analysis of the transliteration and studies the background of the texts.
The instructor offers further information about the linguistic aspects and cultural and historical context of the texts.
The student reads selected secundary literature about the historical context of the texts and summarizes them in a short weekly paper. The content of the literature is discussed in class.
- The ability to decipher, transliterate and translate cuneiform texts from the selected period.
- Knowledge of the historical development, function and cultural context of the selected texts.
Please consult the timetable on the Classics and Ancient Civilizations website.
Mode of instruction
- Class: 28 hours
- Translating independently: ca. 42 hours
- Reading literature: ca. 40 hours
- Writing weekly papers: ca. 56 hours
- Writing the final essay: ca. 114 hours
- Total study load: 280 hours
- Weekly papers of 800-1000 words: ##%
- Final essay of ca. 5000 words: ##%
- To be announced