Students PA or students Research Master- Public Administration track.
The aim of this course is to develop and increase the students’ skills in presenting scientific findings in English, both in the form of a written text and as a formal presentation. The emphasis of the course is not so much on grammatically correct use of English, but rather on clear, effective reader- and audience-friendly communication.
Participants become acquainted with an effective manner of editing their own text. On the basis of one of their own texts they receive individual advice and coaching from the instructor. In order to further develop their own editing skills, the participants are also expected to closely study each other’s work, making use of the conventions of the APSA Style Manual.
Participants acquire the skills required to give a talk at a conference. Each participant gives a presentation during the course, followed by a group discussion on the contents of that presentation.
- Develop research writing skills for academic English writing
- Understand the conventions for presenting written research reports
- Learn and understand the institute’s plagiarism and academic dishonesty policy
- Improve oral presentation skills
The (provisional) timetable is on the first page of the e-Prospectus.
Mode of instruction
- Student presentation and feedback sessions
- Written assignment (50%)
- Presentation assignment (50%)