The museum internship is an essential part of the MA in Museum Studies and it is mandatory for all students following this MA (except for the Archaeology students following the Museum MA as a second specialization).
Students are expected to select a museum of their own interest. It is the student’s responsibility to choose a museum and get in contact with its director or curators in the first place. The student must inform the coordinator of the Museum MA about these contacts and provide the contact information of at least one curator who is willing to work with him/her during the internship.
In this internship, students will have the chance to work with museum professionals and to experience museum work in daily life. They may want to help to develop an exhibition, to focus on a specific collection within the museum, to engage with the public, or participate in any other activities taking place at the museum of their choice.
The museum internship can be carried out outside of Leiden.
By the end of the internship, the students will hand in a written report about their activities. They will also present and discuss their internship activities to other students and the Museum MA professors in a closed one-day meeting in February.
- Experiencing museum work in daily life.
- Ability to write a concise report about the internship experience.
The internship will take place in the month of January.
Mode of instruction
- Autonomous full-time work with supervision: 4 weeks 36 hours per week = 120 study hours
- Written report ca 1400 words = 18 study hours
- Assignment from museum supervisor = 2 study hours
Total: 140 study hours (5 ECTS)
- Presence at work
- Written report (due 2 weeks after the end of the internship)
- Assessment from museum supervisor
All three components of assesment must be assessed as “pass” in order to pass the course.
Dr. Mariana Françozo: e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org