Hieroglyphic Luwian is the language in which the monumental inscriptions of the Hittite Empire (1650-1180 BC, central-Anatolia) as well as the Neo-Hittite city states ( (1100-700 BC, south-east-Anatolia) are written. It is written in an indigenous hieroglyphic script (which has nothing to do with the Egyptian hieroglyphs).
Linguistically, Hieroglyphic Luwian belongs to the Anatolian branch of the Indo-European language family, and thus is closely cognate with Hittite, and, more remotely, languages like Greek, Latin, Sanskrit, but also English and Dutch.
In this course the writing system as well as the entire grammar of Hieroglyphic Luwian will be treated, with the aim of being able to independently read and understand the Hieroglyphic Luwian inscriptions in the hieroglyphic script. Moreover, the students will become acquainted with the scholarly literature on Hieroglyphic Luwian and be introduced into the newest insights on the phonological and morphological interpretation of the language as well as its affiliation to the other Anatolian and Indo-European languages.
1) Students are able, with the use of the available scholarly aids, to independently read and understand Hieroglyphic Luwian inscriptions in the hieroglyphic script.
2) Students have knowledge of the linguistic affiliation between Hieroglyphic Luwian and the other Anatolian and Indo-European languages.
3) Students aer able to judge and interpret scholarly literature dealing with Hieroglyphic Luwian.
The timetable will be available by June 1st on the website.
Mode of instruction
Students are expected to attend the weekly seminars of the BA course Hieroglyphic Luwian (5512V????), where the basic grammar of Hieroglyphic Luwian is taught.
Students will be given a reading list for self-study.
Tutorials on the topics from the reading list will be given on the basis of students’ needs and interests.
- time spent on attending seminars: 26 hours
- time preparation of the classes: 49 hours
- time for the reading list: 60 hours
- time to prepare for the final paper: 145 hours
Final paper 100%
This course is not supported by Blackboard.
The reading list will be provided at the beginning of the course.
Students should register through uSis. If you have any questions, please contact the departmental office, tel. 071 5272144 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
MA Linguistics departmental office, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 102C. Tel. 071 5272144; mail:email@example.com