A pass for introductory translation courses Dutch to English and English to Dutch. Alternatively, a pass for the entry test that the English Department will make available from June 2013.
The aim of this advanced translation course is to familiarize its participants with the challenges a translator faces in practice. Practice makes perfect, which is why the emphasis lies on discussing the translations students have prepared at home and on doing translations that a professional translator may be expected to do, the texts covering a wide range of topics and registers. However, we will also make a link to translation theory and ask ourselves to what extent theory helps us solve practical problems.
At the end of the course students are able to translate a linguistically sophisticated, but non-specialist Dutch text into grammatically correct and stylistically appropriate English, and vice versa.
The timetable will be available by June 1st on the website.
Mode of instruction
- time spent on attending and seminars: 26 hours
- time spent on studying the compulsory literature: 12 hours
- time spent on preparing for the exam and translations (including reading/research): 242 hours
- presentation of an annotated translation and contributions to discussion in tutorial 30%
- average mark of two of the ten translations handed in during the course 30%
Translation test (D-E; E-D) 40%
This course is supported by Blackboard.
- Lemmens, M. & Parr, T. (2013). Handboek voor de Vertaler Nederlands-Engels (Praktische tips) Intertaal.
- Renkema, J. (2012). Schrijfwijzer SDU.
- Van Dale Vertaalwoordenboeken (Nederlands-Engels and Engels-Nederlands)._ Van Dale.
Students are expected to be in possession of the grammars and dictionaries prescribed for the Language Acquisition courses in the BA English Language and Culture.
Students should register through uSis. If you have any questions, please contact the departmental office, tel. 071 5272144 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/
MA Linguistics departmental office, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 102C. Tel. 071 5272144; mail: email@example.com