- Major students: Inleiding Letterkunde Brazilie and Portuguese 2 or equivalent (contact tutor).
- Other interested students: please contact tutor.
This course examines the relationship between cinema and literature in modern Brazil, through the study of a selection of texts. Film adaptations and stylistic and narrative synergies provide the focus for this course. Texts are studied within their historical and political contexts to help us understand what they tell us about the making of Brazil in a global context.
- Develop critical and analytical skills through close textual analysis of literary and filmic texts, with particular emphasis on post-1960.
- To familiarize students with Brazilian cultural theories, literary/film criticism and theoretical frameworks which help illuminate the texts at hand.
- Research skills.
- Spoken and written presentation skills.
Mode of instruction
2 essay compositions of 1500-2000 words (Major students: in Portuguese) – 40% each
Class Presentation: 20%
Resit: essay submission.
Blackboard wordt gebruikt het ter beschikking stellen van studiemateriaal
A detailed reading list of primary and secondary sources will be provided to students in due course via Blackboard.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/