This course accompanies the BA3 Seminar of the specific cluster to which the student was admitted.* See the admission procedure outlined in Admission requirements to BA3 Seminar of each cluster.
- Exception will be made for students with a study delay who have already completed one focus seminar in the former BA3 curriculum.
(may be modified)
Developing skills essential to dealing with (longer) academic texts in Japanese, such as reading comprehension, critical analysis, and skimming techniques.
techniques in cursory reading such as learning to distinguish the signal words that indicate the build-up of argumentation, to distinguish primary information from subsidairy details
the ability to produce an analysis of a text (as opposed to sumarizing or re-telling the contents of a text)
the ability to learn reading ‘between the lines’, i.e. to learn distinguishing implicit messages in a text
the ability to produce critical commentary on academic texts
see timetable (rooster)
Mode of instruction
- Total course load for this course is 140 hours – Hours spent on attending seminars (eg 2 hours per week x 13 weeks = 26 hours)
[adjust the remaining two points as applicable]
- Time for studying the compulsory literature (as a possible criterion approx. 7 pages per hour with deviations up and down depending on the material to be studied) (if applicable) time for completing assignments, whether in preparation at the college – (If applicable) time to write a paper (including reading / research)
Participation element (attendance, 7 webpostings of ca. 500 words, participation in discussing the texts in class): 50%
[in order to keep Text seminars uniform, the participation element should remain the same for all clusters]
Paper or Exam (2,000-2,500 words): 50%
[each cluster is free to determine the form of the final paper/exam. We suggest three possibilities: 1. A comparative analysis of two academic texts in Japanese on a related topic. The texts are selected by each student, but must be approved by the instructor;
- A comparative analysis of two academic texts in Japanese on a related topic. Students can choose from a limited number of pairs of texts provided by the instructor;
- An exam based on two academic texts in Japanese on a related topic chosen by either one of the two above methods. The students can view the text in advance in preparation for the exam (i.e. a week before the exam?)]
Het eindcijfer voor het onderdeel is het gewogen gemiddelde van de uitslagen voor de deeltoetsen, met dien verstande dat het onderdeel alleen voldoende kan zijn wanneer de student voor alle deeltoetsen een voldoende heeft behaald. Indien een of meer van de deeltoetsen onvoldoende zijn, ontvangt de student een onvoldoende (onv.) als uitslag voor het gehele onderdeel.
you will be registered according to placement
This course should be taken together with the corresponding BA3 Seminar offered by the same cluster.