This is a Portuguese language course for beginners. Attention will be paid to the use of the language in practical, everyday situations, alongside solid grounding in grammar. The course develops the four key skills – reading, listening, speaking, writing.
This course aims at an elementary/lower intermediate level of proficiency in Portuguese. The focus is on Brazilian Portuguese, and whilst developing language skills, the course aims at familiarizing students with elements of Brazilian culture, including within the context of the wider Portuguese-speaking world, through the use of authentic materials.
Target level for in terms of the Common European Framework: A2
See the website
Mode of instruction
Three 2-hour sessions a week, combination of lectures and seminars.
Written assessments: class test 30mins 20% of mark; final 2h exam 40% (tests include linguistic exercises – eg. fill-the-gap exercises – and written comprehension or short composition).
Oral exam 40% of mark (short presentation and question/answer session).
Resit for relevant component: written exam/oral.
- Emma Eberlein O-F Lima and others, Novo Avenida Brasil I (E.P.U.)
- Authentic materials will also be employed and will be provided by the tutor.
- Júlia Abreu de Souza. Basiscursus Portugees van Brazilië “É isso aí”. Bussum: Coutinho, 2006. [text especially geared to Dutch speakers]
- Isabel Coimbra and Olga M. Coimbra, Gramática Ativa 1. (Versão brasileira – Lamartine Bião Oberg) (Porto: Lidel). [very good selection of grammar exercises, with answers provided].
- Emma Eberlein O.F. Lima and Samira A. Iunes, Falar…Ler…Escrever…Português: um curso para estrangeiros (São Paulo: E.P.U.)
Registration via uSis for courses and exams
Students are requested to register through uSis, the registration system of Leiden University for this course. General information about uSis is available in English and Dutch.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte via: www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/alacarte
Registration Contractonderwijs via: http://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl/onderwijs/contractonderwijs/