This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies.
The course describes and analyses the main trends of political, economic, social and cultural developments in Europe in the 20th century. The focus is on the post-war period, allowing forward reflection and a link to the economics, politics and society of the second year.
1. The Age of Nationalism, 1850-1914
2. The West and the World, 1815-1914
3. World War I
4. The Interwar Years, 1919-1939
5. Soviet Communism and Italian Fascism before 1940
6. The Rise of the Nazis and WW II
7. Cold War Conflict and the rise of the European Union, 1945 – c.1965
8. Decolonization: Adjusting to a Diminished World Role
9. The Soviet Bloc, 1945-1985
10. Challenging the Postwar Order, c. 1960-c. 1975
11. Western Europe since c. 1975
12. The Revolutions of 1989 and After
Students acquire thorough knowledge of twentieth century European history from a ‘transnational’ perspective, understanding the relationship between political, economic and social developments.
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website.
Mode of instruction
One two hour lecture per week; bi-weekly tutorials.
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend a lecture or tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
Total course load for the course is 5 EC x 28 hours is 140 hours, broken down by:
Lectures: 12 × 2 = 24
Study of compulsory literature: 34
Tutorials: 4 × 2 = 8
Preparation tutorials 4 × 3= 12
Preparation midterm = 25
Preparation final essay = 37
Midterm Exam 30%
Final Exam 40%
If the final grade is insufficient (lower than a 6), there is the possibility of retaking the full 70% of the exam material, replacing both the earlier mid- and endterm grades. No resit for the tutorials is possible.
Blackboard will be used. For tutorial groups: please enroll in blackboard after your enrolment in uSis
Students are requested to register on Blackboard for this course.
- John P. McKay, Bennett D. Hill, John Buckler etc., A History of Western Society, Volume 2: From the Age of Exploration to the Present, Eleventh edition (2011). Isbn-13: 9781137378279
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Dr. J. Augusteijn, email firstname.lastname@example.org