Master’s students Psychology preferably with specialisation Health psychology, Occupational Health Psychology or Clinical Psychology.
This elective course is developed to familiarize psychology students with health psychology in practical settings. Six practising health psychologists will describe in the sessions the background and essential tasks of:
- their work
- covering primary health care
- health promotion
- psychology in general hospitals
- rehabilitation settings
- paediatric psychology.
In addition, students will receive practical assignments from each health psychologist related to a case, an assessment, a consultation, an intervention or another professional action.
- Students get to know the backgrounds and essential tasks of health psychologists in practical settings
- Students will get a better perspective of future jobs and requirements to acquire these jobs
- Students acquire skills concerning diagnosis, counseling, interventions and health promotion through assignments
- Students learn to reflect and comment on their own motivation, skills and knowledge in relation to possible future careers.
Health Psychology in Practice (2014-2015):
Students need to enroll for lectures and work group sessions. Please consult the Instructions registration
If you have any question, please contact our exchange coordinator
Mode of instruction
- 6 lectures (2 hours)
- 6 workgroups with (group)assignments (3 hours)
- Final endpaper
NB. Presence in all sessions is obligatory, missing one session (when announced beforehand and with reason) can be compensated with an alternative assignment. Missing more sessions is not allowed.
The grade will be composed of the final endpaper (80%) and assignments (20%).
The Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted that instructors use a software programme for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. In case of fraud disciplinary actions will be taken. Please see the information concerning fraud
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Reading materials are posted on blackboard
Dr. C. Verhoeven
Tel: +31 (0)71 527 4069