This course is open to master’s student in Psychology. Prior knowledge is assumed on a level of the Bachelor 3 course Clinical Neuropsychology.
This course provides theoretical foundations in the clinical neuropsychological assessment and diagnostic work-up of cognitive, emotional and/or behavioral consequences as result of (possible) neurological or psychiatric disease in adult and elderly patients. All instructors are (clinical) neuropsychologists working in the (academic) health service.
The course involves 7 lectures (2 hrs) addressing the following content domains:
- General principles of clinical neuropsychology
- Functional Neuroanatomy
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Cerebrovascular Disease
- Neuropsychiatric Disorders
Students should obtain a detailed understanding of the affective, behavioral and cognitive manifestations of diseases of the central nervous system, particularly those affecting the brain, in adults and elderly people.
Adult and Old Age Clinical Neuropsychology:Theory and Assessment (2014-2015):
7 Lectures. Attendance to all meetings is obligatory.
Students need to enroll for lectures and work group sessions. Please consult the Instructions registration
Students are not automatically enrolled for an examination. They can register via uSis from 100 to 10 calendar days before the date; students who are not registered will not be permitted to take the examination. Registering for exams
Active participation in the course, written exam (MC and essay questions).
The Faculty of Social Sciences has instituted that instructors use a software programme for the systematic detection of plagiarism in students’ written work. In case of fraud disciplinary actions will be taken. Please see the information concerning fraud
Information on blackboard.leidenuniv.nl
- Lezak, M.D., Howieson, D.B., Bigler, E.D., Tranel, D. Neuropsychological Assessment (5th Revised Edition). Oxford University Press, 2012. ISBN: 0195395522.
- Strub R.L. F.W. Black. F.A. The mental status examination in Neurology (3rd Edition). Davis Company 1993. ISBN: 0-8036-8212-3.
- Marshall,M. (Edt.). Perspectives on rehabilitation and dementia. Jessica Kingsley Publishers London 2005. ISBN: 1-84310-286-2.
- Vanderploeg, R.D. (Edt.) Clinician’s guide to neuropsychological assessment (2rd Edition).Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publicers London 2000. ISBN 0-8058-2834-6
Dr. D.M.J. van den Heuvel
FSW Psychology room 2A09a