“Science Based Business Fundamentals, the Bachelor edition” is a 10-week full time course for bachelor Science students who
- wish or consider to pursue a career outside the domain of (fundamental) scientific research;
- pursue a career in scientific research but wish to broaden their horizon e.g. having in mind later career opportunities that may require knowledge of fundamental business principles and training of managerial skills.
The course is part of the Science & Research Based Business Minor.
The course introduces business principles and managerial skills with a focus on their application in science-based organizations. It has been set up based on what alumni and managers of science-based organizations perceive to be most important to science students.
The programme starts with a week of introductory lectures and a business game followed by lectures, work groups and assignments in the areas of:
Strategic Marketing Management,
dr. H. Jousma (programme director) and drs. G. Degenaars (programme coordinator), firstname.lastname@example.org
Lectures, working groups, workshops, case discussions, assignments (both individual and team assignments), oral presentations, guest speakers.
Mandatory literature (subject to change):
- Winer, R.S.: Marketing management. 4th Edition. Pearson Prentice Hall, ISBN-13: 9780130387929.
- Brealey R.A., Myers S.C. and A.J Marcus: Fundamentals of Corporate Finance. 7th edition, McGraw-Hill, ISBN-13: 9780071314749.
- Additional material: readers, cases, lecture hand-outs, articles.
Please consult the course management before purchasing books
For each SBB Fundamentals course a separate blackboard space is created in which the students are enrolled by the course coordinator. Lecture notes, assignments, important announcements etc can be found there.
The (relative) grading of this course is based on a weighted average of the grades of tests and assignments
This course will run from September 1 to November 7, 2014.
More information about SBB can be found on our website