The second year Communication in Science writing programme is a continuation of the foundation course: in the first semester of year 2 students further develop writing skills acquired in the first year. Students will write a Letter to the editor of a scientific article during the module, Immunology. Students will also visit a clinical conference and write a report specific to that genre. Students also prepare a presentation in English using Powerpoint.
After the first semester of year 2, the student will:
- have further developed efficient writing skills in English;
- be able to write a critical letter to an editor;
- be able to write a clinical conference report;
- be able to prepare a basic presentation in English using Powerpoint.
Mode of instruction
The line course Communication in Science (CIS) is a form of transmodular education that is integrated within the modules. CIS is taught via lectures, work groups, self-study, video training and individual tutorials. Students build up a portfolio containing all assessments and feedback. The course makes use of the electronic learning environment Blackboard.
Information for exchange students
This module is part of an English taught semester of the bachelor’s programme in Biomedical Sciences at Leiden University Medical Center. Combining biomedical modules with modules from other programmes in Leiden is difficult or impossible due to different scheduling schemes. Exchange students with sufficient relevant background knowledge in biology/biomedicine are therefore encouraged and advised to choose the entire module package indicated below. This semester starts in week 36 and finishes at the end of week 3 of the following calendar year.
- Immunology (BW), 8 EC
- Pathogen-Host Interactions part 2, 3 EC
- Infection and Immunity in Practice, 3 EC
- Physiology, Basic Concepts, 8 EC
- Physiology, Advanced Concepts, 3 EC
- Communication in Science for Exchange students, 1 EC