In this MA Seminar the focus will be on Christianity in the contemporary world, to be studied from a global and comparative perspective. Partly on the basis of recent social surveys we shall analyze the current situation of Christianity in various parts of the world, paying attention to such diverse phenomena as the rise and success of Evangelical and Pentecostal movements, the process of secularization and the complexity of the secularization thesis, the growing popularity of all sorts of spirituality, the ‘shopping around’ in order to fabricate one’s own, individual belief, and the like.
In a broad context the MA-seminar will confront students with basic aspects of contemporary global Christianity. They will work with an interdisciplinary approach in which religious studies, cultural history, and sociology play a major role.
Mode of instruction
• The students are required to research a particular topic, to be presented in an essay.
• Meetings with the instructors will take place in the form of a tutorial every 3 weeks, where students will have to present the results of their reading assignments and the drafts of their essay.
Total course load: 140 hours
• Time for studying reading assignments & preparing presentations: 62 hours
• Time to write the essay: 78 hours
• Presentations on the basis of the reading assignments 40%
• Essay 60 %
To complete the final mark, please take notice of the following:
The final grade for the course is established by determining the weighted average. In order to pass the student must receive a grade of 6 or more for each part of the assessment.
BB will be used for notifications, the schedule of the meetings with the instructors, the reading assignments, uploading assignments
To be put on BB before the seminar starts.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
NB This seminar will only be given if there will be a minimum of 10 students.