- BA students in Philosophy: propedeuse degree has been obtained, as well as the second-year course Taalfilosofie.
- Students from other departments (including contractstudenten): propedeuse degree has been obtained, and additionally the following philosophy courses are required: introductory courses in (Predicate) Logic and Philosophy of Language (Taalfilosofie).
Knowledge of Frege’s article Über Sinn and Bedeutung is presupposed. Some mastery of German is a help in the study of Frege.
Frege’s work is becoming recognized as the foundation of analytical philosophy; central here is his theory of Sinn and Bedeutung within the Philosophy of Language and Neo-Fregeanism in the Philosophy of Mathematics. The course will pay special attention to the Philosophy of Logic and the epistemological dimension to Frege’s work, which in comparison with the other two areas is relatively unexplored. It draws upon original texts by Frege and suitably chosen secondary sources.
This course aims to give students a good grounding in the Philosophy of Logic and, especially, detailed knowledge of Frege’s Philosophy of Logic and Language.
Students who successfully complete the course will have a good understanding of :
- basic notions and theories in the philosophy of logic;
- Frege’s Philosophy of Logic and of Language.
Students who successfully complete the course will be able to:
- give a presentation on a chosen topic;
- plan and execute a philosophical essay, including the finding of suitable literature.
See Collegeroosters Wijsbegeerte 2015-2016, BA Wijsbegeerte (BA Plus-traject of Standaardtraject), derde jaar.
Mode of instruction
- Lectures and seminars
Class attendance is required.
Total course load (10 EC x 28 hrs): 280 hours
- Attending lectures and seminars: 14 × 3 = 42 hours
- Preparation for, and elaboration of, weekly classes: 14 × 10 = 140 hours
- Preparation of presentation: 40 hours
- Preparation, incl. literature search, and writing of essay: 58 hours
- Active participation in the course with reading assignments (sine qua non, but not given grade).
- Presentation during the second half of the course (sine qua non, but not given grade).
- Substantial final essay (paper) on a matter that is relevant to the topics studied in the course and chosen together with the course teacher
One resit will be offered, covering the entire course content and consisting poof a paper. The grade will replace previously earned grades for (sub)tests. Class participation and completion of practical assignments (presentation) are mandatory requirements for taking the test and resit. Students who have obtained a satisfactory grade for the first examination(s) cannot take the resit.
Blackboard will be used for posting of messages, texts, and reading assignments.
- The chosen Frege texts and relevant secondary literature will be made available through Blackboard.
Exchange students and Study Abroad students, please see the Study in Leiden website for information on how to apply.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Registration Studeren à la carte: not applicable.