Only those who sucessfully completed Korean 1.1 or equivalent can enrol.
This 6 hrs/week intensive language course builds on the knowledge and skills gained during the first semester and aims to further the essential linguistic knowledge and practical language use. Students will have ample chances to apply gained linguistic knowledge to actual usage of the language through: interactive and communicative activities; reading and listening activities; and assignments and a project emphasizing self expression.
- Gain 600+ new vocabulary (1200+ accumulatively)
- Understand and produce more complex sentences with firm grasp of grammar
- Begin to understand and produce cohesive narration/discourse both in spoken and written forms
- Hold conversation to perform simple daily funtions as well as on familiar topics and personal interest
- Improve pronunciation and accent
- Gain insight into Korean language and culture
Mode of instruction
Total course load: 280 hours
• Contact hours: 78 hours (6hrs x 13 weeks)
• Preperation for each class including quizzes and assignments: 130 hours (10 hrs x 13 weeks)
• Preperation for midterm exam: 27 hours
• Preparation for final exam: 33 hours
• Video project: 12 hours
Your final grade will be determined in combination of the following items:
• Attendance: 5%
• Weekly vocab quiz: 10%
• Assignment: 20% (Workbook 5%, Various assignments over the semester 15%)
• Midterm: 25% (Vocabulary, Grammar, and Expressions (including conversations) 10%, Listening and Reading 10%, Oral (skit) 5%)
• Final: 35% (Vocabulary, Grammar, and Expressions (including conversations) 10%, Listening and Reading 10%, Oral (Fluent reading, Skit, and Free conversation) 15%)
• Video Project 5%
• You have 2 resit chances for vocab quiz upon request, within 2 weeks of the original quiz date.
• Assignments submitted two or more weeks late will not be graded.
• There is no resit after the midterm.
• If your average grade of midterm and final for “Vocab, Grammar, and Expressions” is below 6.0, you need to resit only for this portion. This resit covers the entire material of the relevant area of the course and the mark will replace both midterm and final (thus, 20% of the final grade).
• If your average grade of midterm and final for “Listening and Reading” is below 6.0, you need to resit only for this portion. This resit covers the entire material of the relevant area of the course and the mark will replace both midterm and final (thus, 20% of the final grade).
• Final oral exam consists of three components. If you fail to get over 6.0 in one of these (even if the average of the three is over 6.0), you need to resit the failed component(s).
To pass the course and advance to Korean 2.1., your grade from all three components of the exams (“Vocab, Grammar, and Expressions”; “Listening and Reading”; and “Oral”) should be 6.0 or higher. For oral, you need to receive 6.0 or higher from every component (Fluent reading, Skit, Free conversation) to pass the course.
As is the case for all Korean Studies courses, a strict attendance policy will be enforced. Attendance for all lectures and seminars is expected. Failure to attend results in a lower grade (no penalty for the first two absences, but you will lose 1% each of your final grade from the third absence and on). If you are late for class three times, it will be considered as one absence. If you do not attend more than 6 classes (i.e. 7th absence and on) you will not be able to continue attending the classes and your exam and/or paper may not be graded by the instructor(s). If you have a valid reason not to attend, you may get dispensation from this rule, but you have to consult the coordinator of studies, Ms. Kraakman, on this.
Yes. Blackboard will supplment the off-line class (e.g. extra course materials/self-study materials, announcement, grade check, etc.).
- Choe et al. (2008). New Sogang Korean 1B: Student Book. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul, ISBN: 9788976995773
- Choe et al. (2009). New Sogang Korean 1B: Workbook. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul, ISBN: 9788976995780
- Choe et al. (2008). New Sogang Korean 2A: Student Book. Sogang University Press. Seoul, ISBN: 9788992491266
- Kim et al. (2008). New Sogang Korean 2A: Workbook. Sogang University Press. Seoul, ISBN: 9788992491303
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Contact the coordinator: Mw. Drs. A.R. Nam
Studiecoördinator Mw. S. Kraakman.