This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies.
Korean 1 is an elementary level course which starts from the Korean character, a phonetic writing system as Roman alphabet. This course is designed specifically to develop communication skills. Students will acquire beginning level of Korean through various class activities, e.g. role-playing, interviewing, and group activities. Various learning activities using K-pop and clips from television programs will make learning enjoyable.
The course objectives (A1 level) are as follows. *To be able to produce basic Korean sentences in written and spoken form. *To be able to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics. *To be able to understand basic written and oral texts on everyday topics. *To gain knowledge of basic Korean grammar (A1 level), essential Korean vocabulary, expressions and basic sentence structures in a given context.
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website.
Mode of instruction
Three two hour tutorials every week
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend a lecture or a tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
- Total course load: 280 hours
• Attending classes: 72 hours (6 hrs per week over 12 weeks)
• Preparing classes, exams and extra activities: 208 hours
- 4 oral and written exams 40%
• 8 continuous assessments (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) 20%
• 8 vocabulary quizzes 20%
• Participation (home assignment, presentation, and attendance) 20%
The resit will be a written exam of two hours, and will test if the students have reached the end level of this semester. This exam consists of the following components:
• Reading and writing;
• Written dialogue;
• Vocabulary and grammar.
The course books are as follows. (Korean 1 will cover Sogang Korean 1A and the first half of Sogang Korean 1B):
1. Song-Hee Kim et.al.2008. Sogang Korean New Series Student’s book 1A. Hawoo.
2. Song-Hee Kim et.al. 2009. Sogang Korean New Series Workbook 1A. Hawoo.
3. Song-Hee Kim et.al.2008. Sogang Korean New Series Student’s book 1B. Hawoo.
4. Song-Hee Kim et.al. 2009. Sogang Korean New Series Workbook 1B. Hawoo.
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
J.H. Park, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Passing this course is an additional requirement for a positive Study Recommendation at the end of the year.