Prerequisites: Effective Field Theory, Quantum Theory.
Building on the courses Effective Field Theory and Quantum Theory, this is a first course in the Quantum Theory of Fields, which consistently unifies special relativity with quantum mechanics.
• Quantum Mechanics from a Lagrangian perspective
• The path integral
• Spin and the Lorentz Group
• The Dirac Equation
• The theory of Quantum-ElectroDynamics
• Perturbation theory and elementary scattering processes
• Introduction to Renormalization, the renormallization group and the connection with critical phenomena
Mode of instruction
Lectures and tutorials
60% Problem assignments; 40% Written Final exam (must pass)
Course material is on Blackboard.
To have access to Blackboard you need a ULCN-account.Blackboard UL
primary text books (required)
1. M. Srednicki, Quantum Field Theory, Cambridge University Press, 2007.
2. R. Rattazzi: The Path Integral approach to Quantum Mechanics, http://itp.epfl.ch/webdav/site/itp/users/174685/private/RevisedLectureNotesV2.pdf
secondary text book (not required): M.E. Peskin, D.V. Schroeder: An introduction to Quantum Field Theory, Westview Press, 1995.
Contactdetails Teacher(s):Prof.dr.K. Schalm (Koenraad)