This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies who have passed French 1 Beginners and French 2 Pre-Intermediate.
In this course you learn how to handle successfully a variety of social situations you may encounter in daily life in France or other French-speaking countries, or when meeting French-speaking people. You learn to maintain face-to-face conversations. We will focus on speaking and understanding the language with a variety of oral and written communication tasks in small groups, in pairs or with the whole class. This course will also discuss cultural backgrounds of speakers of French. We will use in combination the books various medias (newspapers, videos …). We will also watch movies, learn how to give an opinion on it and to debate controversial topics and issues.
This course enables the student to achieve an overall level B1 of the Common European Frame (CEF) and prepare the DELF B1/B2.
This course is the last course in a series of three language acquisition courses within the International Studies program. The final objective of this course series is to obtain an intermediate level of proficiency in [language], aimed at communication with people in the region in everyday social situations and enabling students to follow current affairs in the region via various media.
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website
Mode of instruction
Two two hour tutorials every week.
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend lecture or a tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
Total course load: 140 hours (5 EC)
Attending classes: 48 hrs (4 hours per week x 12 weeks)
Preparing classes, exams and extra activities: 92 hrs
1) Participation active en classe et devoirs : 10%
2) Evaluations CC : tests en début de chaque semaine = tests rapides de grammaire/ vocabulaire : 20%
3) Examen de Mid-term : 25%
4) Examen final : Partie I (25%) + Partie II (20%) Examen oral (Partie II) : Présentation individuelle devant la classe
The resit will be a written exam of two hours, and will test if the students have reached the end level of this semester. This exam consists of the following components:
• Reading and writing;
• Written dialogue;
• Vocabulary and grammar.
Blackboard will be used. For tutorial groups: please enroll in blackboard after your enrolment in uSis
Students are requested to register on Blackboard for this course.
- Grammaire progressive du Français Niveau Intermédiaire Nouvelle édition CLE International ISBN 978-2-09-038124-5
• Grammaire progressive du Français Niveau Intermédiaire Corrigés Nouvelle édition CLE International ISBN 978-2-09-038117-7
• Vocabulaire progressif du Français niveau intermédiaire, Claire Miquel, Clé internationale, 2e edition, collection 2011. ISBN: 978-2-09-038128-3
• Vocabulaire progressif du français niveau intermédiaire, Claire Miquel Clé internationale, collection (2e édition) Corrigés ISBN 9782090381290
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs