This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies.
Korean 1 is an intensive language course for novice learners, which begins with the Korean character Hangeul, a phonetic writing system as Roman alphabet. In this course, students will acquire beginning level of Korean and develop communication skills through various class activities, e.g. role-playing, interviewing, and group activities.
The course objectives (A1 level) are as follows:
• To be able to produce basic Korean sentences in written and spoken form.
• To be able to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
• To be able to understand basic written and oral texts on everyday topics.
• To gain knowledge of basic Korean grammar (A1 level), essential Korean vocabulary, expressions and basic sentence structures in a given context.
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website
Mode of instruction
Three two hour tutorials every week
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend a lecture or a tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
Total course load for this course is 10 EC (1 EC = 28 hours), this equals 280 hours, broken down by:
• Attending classes: 72 hours (6 hrs per week over 12 weeks)
• Preparing classes, exams and extra activities: 205 hours
• Assessment hours (midterms and final exam): 3 hours
- There is no re-sit test during the course.
Learning aim: Use of vocabulary/expressions and grammar; proficiency in listening, reading, writing and speaking
Assessment: Written/oral exam and quiz
Learning aim: Aquisition of good pronunciation and accent, speaking, listening and reading skills
Assessment: In-class oral/listening/fluent reading/dictation test
Learning aim: Active participation in class
Assessment: Home assignment and attendance
Assessment: Written/oral exam and quiz: 60%
Assessment: In-class oral/listening/fluent reading/dictation test: 20%
Assessment: Home assignment and attendance: 20%
To complete the final mark, please take notice of the following: the final mark for the course is established by determining the weighted average.
To pass the course, the average has to be 5.5 at least.
If the final grade is insufficient (lower than a 6), there is the possibility of a resit.
The resit will be a written exam of two hours, and will test if the students have reached the end level of this semester. This exam consists of the following components:
• Reading and writing;
• Written dialogue;
• Vocabulary and grammar.
- Choe et al. (2008). New Sogang Korean 1A: Student Book. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul.
• Choe et al. (2009). New Sogang Korean 1A: Workbook. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul.
• Choe et al. (2008). New Sogang Korean 1B: Student Book. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul.
• Choe et al. (2009). New Sogang Korean 1B: Workbook. Sogang Unviersity Press. Seoul.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
This course uses the textbook and workbook from the first day. Prepare the books in advance.
For this course attendance and participation is essential. Classes missed for a good reason have to be discussed with the language instructor BEFORE the class takes place. Frequent absence will inevitably lead to lower participation grades, or denied access to the final exam.
Passing this course is an additional requirement for a positive Study Recommendation at the end of the year.
This course uses Integrated communicative language learning method. Therefore active participation in the classroom activities is essential for successful learning outcomes.