This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies.
This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies who have passed Korean 1 Beginners and Korean 2 Pre-intermediate.
This course Korean 3 builds on the essential linguistic knowledge and practical skills gained during the previous courses Korean 1 & 2, to further develop intermediate level in speaking, listening, reading and writing competence in Korean. Students will learn how to apply gained lingusitic knowledge to actual and correct usage of the language through interactive and communicative activities during the classes, next to the assignments of writing and grammar exercise.
This course is a learner-oriented language course, which means the participation of students plays a key role of learning.
The course objectives (A2/B1 level) are as follows.
• Students will learn how to describe experiences, impressions, how to give reasons for opinions, how to explain plans.
• Students will develop interaction skills to participate into conversation on topics that are familiar, on topics of personal interest or everyday life.
• Students will gain the knowledge and understanding of intermediate level Korean grammar, vocabulary, expressions and sentence structures.
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website
Mode of instruction
Two two hour tutorials every week.
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend lecture or a tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
Total course load: 140 hours (5 EC)
Attending classes: 48 hrs (4 hours per week x 12 weeks)
Preparing classes, exams and extra activities: 92 hrs
Your final grade will be determined in combination of the following:
- Attendance and participation during the classes: 10%
• Assignment: 10% (Workbook 5%, Various assignments over the semester 5%) • 3 vocabulary quizzes: 10%
• 2 Midterm written and oral exams during the semester: 40% (written exam of vocabulary, grammar, listening, reading and writing: 2 × 10% =20%, oral exam of expressions and conversations: 2 × 10% = 20%)
• Final exam at the end of semester in order to test whether the students have reached the end level of this semester: 30% (written exam of vocabulary, grammar, listening, reading and writing: 20% , oral exam of expressions and free conversations: 10%)
The resit will be a written exam of two hours, and will test whether the students have reached the end level of this semester. This exam consists of the following components:
• Reading and writing;
• Written dialogue;
• Vocabulary and grammar
Students are requested to register on Blackboard for this course.
The course books are as follows:
1. Song-Hee Kim et.al. 2008. Sogang Korean New Series Student’s book 2B. Hawoo.
2. Song-Hee Kim et.al. 2008. Sogang Korean New Series Workbook 2B. Hawoo.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
For this course attendance and participation is essential. Classes missed for a good reason have to be discussed with the language instructor BEFORE the class takes place. Frequent absence will inevitably lead to lower participation grades, or denied access to the final exam.
This course uses Integrated communicative language learning method. Therefore active participation in the classroom activities is essential for successful learning outcomes.