This course is only available for students in the BA International Studies who have passed Spanish 1 Beginner.
This is a language course for pre- intermediate students, that it has a communicative approach. Attention will be paid to the use of the language in practical everyday situations. The course is going to be divided into lecture and practical classes. The focus will be on listening, speaking, reading, and writing. For this purpose, vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar and the most important standard phrases will be taught as the key elements of this course.
- (Audio)visual reception (reading): B1
• Written production (writing): A2+; B1
• Listening: A2+; B1
• Oral productions (speaking): B1
The timetable is available on the BA International Studies website
Mode of instruction
Three two hour tutorials every week
Attending lectures and tutorials is compulsory. If you are not able to attend a lecture or a tutorial, please inform the tutor of the course. Being absent without notification can result in a lower grade or exclusion from the final exam or essay.
- Total course load for the course 10 EC: 280 hours
• Hours spent on attending lectures and seminars: 6 hours per week x 12 weeks = 72 hours
• Time for studying and preparation of the course: 5 hours per week x 12 week = 60 hours
• Time to write an assignment in other language (including reading / research): 4 assignments: 148 hours
- Midterm exam: 25% (grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension in class exam)
- 2 Small assignments (quizzes): 7.5% each (grammar and vocabulary)
- Listening evaluation: 10%
- Final exam:
a. 1st Part Writing exam: 35% (grammar, vocabulary and reading comprehension)
b. 2nd Part Oral exam: 15% (speaking and listening)
To complete the final mark, please take notice of the following: the final mark for the course is established by determining the weighted average.
To pass the course, the average has to be 5.5 at least
The resit will be a written exam of two hours, and will test if the students have reached the end level of this semester. This exam consists of the following components:
• Reading and writing;
• Written dialogue;
• Vocabulary and grammar.
Students are requested to register on Blackboard for this course.
• Gente hoy 2. Libro del alumno. Ed. Difusión. 2013. ISBN 9789460305719
• Gente hoy 2. Libro de trabajo. Ed. Difusión. 2013. ISBN 9789460305726
• Gramática básica del estudiante de español. Rosario Alonso Raya,, Alejandro Castañeda Castro, Pablo Martínez Gila. Editorial Difusión. ISBN: 9789460303173
• The Oxford Essential Spanish Dictionary; Ed. Oxford University Press. 2010. ISBN: 9780199576449
• Palabras, Methode woordenschatverwerving Spaans; Ed. Coutinho. 2011. ISBN: 9789046902578
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
For this course attendance and participation is essential. Classes missed for a good reason have to be discussed with the language instructor BEFORE the class takes place. Frequent absence will inevitably lead to lower participation grades, or denied access to the final exam.
This course uses Integrated communicative language learning method. Therefore active participation in the classroom activities is essential for successful learning outcomes.