nl en

Capita Selecta of European Law - Privatissimum


Admission requirements

Admission to the Masters programme (European Law specialisation).


In the context of the course Capita Selecta of European Law – Privatissimum, students will focus on a particular topic of European law under the supervision of a lecturer who is an expert in that particular field. Students will thus benefit from lecturers who teach about the very core of their own research interests. In previous years, topics included EU constitutional law, EU migration law and EU fundamental rights. This year’s topics are subject to confirmation. The course format allows for working in small groups and receiving personal feedback from the tutor. A number of introductory lectures will be offered on research methodology, academic writing and presentation skills. After this, students are required to formulate their own research proposal, prepare and present draft-research in class and comment on the work of their peers.

Course objectives

Objectives of the course
The course aims at developing students’ research, writing and presentation skills. They will learn to reflect critically on their own work, as well of that of their peers and engage in academic debate. They will present their draft work in class and will be required to take the feedback they receive on board in the final paper.

Achievement levels
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:

The students acquire a thorough knowledge in a specific field of European law. Additionally, students will practice their research, writing and presentation skills.


The timetable of this course can be found in uSis.

Mode of instruction

Introductory lectures on research methodology, writing an academic paper and presenting work in public.

During the seminars students will present draft research and receive feedback from their tutor and fellow-students.

Other methods of instruction

  • Description: Privatissimum

  • Number of (2 hour) instructions: 3 × 2h lectures, 5 × 4h feedback, presentation and discussion sessions

  • Names of instructors: Mr. dr. A. Cuyvers, Dr. G. Gruni, Dr. M. Jesse LL.M., Dr. V. Kosta, Prof. dr. R.A. Lawson, Dr. J.J. Rijpma

  • Required preparation by students: Students are required to do the required reading in preparation of the introductory lectures. They must do independent research, which they are required to present in class. They will have to comment on the work of their peers.

Assessment method

Examination form(s)

  • Papers, presentations and class participation.

Submission procedures
The final grade for this course will be determined on the basis of two papers; one presentation and active participation throughout the course.
The average of the papers will determine 85% of the final grade. The remaining 15% will consist of an overall grade for the presentations, written comments on other students’ papers and class participation.

Areas to be tested within the exam
Not applicable.


More information on this course will be offered in Blackboard.

Reading list

Obligatory course materials


Course information guide:
Available on the blackboard environment for this course


Recommended course materials
Recommended readings will be made available on Blackboard or in class.


Students have to register for courses and exams through uSis

Contact information

  • Co-ordinator: Dr. V. Kosta

  • Work address: Kamer B1.33 (KOG)

  • Contact information: appointment via email

  • Telephone number: +31 (0)71 527 8540

  • Email:


  • Institute: Public Law

  • Division: European Law

  • Room number secretariat: KOG, B 1.21

  • Opening hours: 9:00 – 17:00

  • Telephone number secretariat: 071 – 527 8905

  • E-mail:


Attendance and active participation in this course is compulsory. Failure to respect deadlines or unauthorized absence may result in a lower overall grade.