Students must have experience with learning new languages with a case system.
Hittite is the language of the Hittite Empire that ruled over large parts of Anatolia and Syria from 1650-1200 BC. It is attested in some 30,000 pieces of clay tablet excavated in the Hittite capital Hattusa. It is the oldest attested Indo-European language. In this course students are offered a structural and analytical approach to Hittite grammar and texts.
1) Students will be able to independently read Hittite texts.
2) Students with an Assyriological background will be able to read these texts in the cuneiform script.
3) Students with a linguistic background will be able to read these texts in transcription, and will be able to carry out a deep linguistic analysis of the language.
The timetable is available on the MA Linguistics website
Mode of instruction
Students are expected to attend the weekly seminars of the BA course Hittite (5512V2037), where the basic grammar of Hittite is taught.
Students will be given a reading list for self-study.
Tutorials on the topics from the reading list will be given on the basis of students’ needs and interests.
- time spent on attending seminars: 26 hours
- time preparation of the classes: 39 hours
- time for the reading list: 25 hours
- time to prepare for exam: 50 hours
The assessment will consist of a final exam, which consists of two parts. Part one is the translation of an unseen Hittite text, for which the students may use their reader. Part two consists of open questions on the grammar of Hittite, including questions on texts that were treated in class. Both parts count for 50% of the final grade.
Students who fail the exam are allowed to make a resit exam.
Yes. Bot the reader and reading list for the course will be available from Blackboard.
We will work from a reader as well as a reading list, which both will be available from Blackboard some time before the start of the course.
Students other than MA Linguistics need permission from the coordinator of studies before enrolling.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Please contact Student administration van Eyckhof for questions.