Contact the co-ordinator of studies.
All internships have to be approved by the Career Service and the Board of Examiners before the starting date. Students can contact dr. Vineet Thakur for the appointment of an academic internship supervisor.
The MA in International Relations offers students the possibility to exchange one 10 EC elective for an internship at an organisation/institution in the field of international or foreign relations, in or outside of the Netherlands. Students are free to choose their own host institution, though need final approval by the Examination Committee of the MAIR.
Academic research and presentation is a crucial aspect of the internship. For all internships conducted within the programme, students are therefore required to:
- Submit a research proposal of 1,250 words including bibliography that provides an overview of the academic research paper. This overview should include an abstract, a research question, an introduction detailing scholarly relevance, methodology, plan, and initial bibliography. Sources must be cited in the research proposal.
- Submit an academic research paper of 4,000 words including bibliography on a topic relevant to both the Internship Organisation and the MA International Studies.
- Give a 20 minute presentation on the research paper and respond to questions and feedback from audience participants.
- Before the start of the internship, students are required to submit an internship contract to the Career Service. The Career Service will forward the completed contract to the Board of Examiners for approval.
- Gain work experience related to the MAIR programme
- Develop an advanced understanding of the nexus between theory and practice in global politics
- Critically compare the theoretical and practical aspects of international relations
- Demonstrate appropriate cognitive, communicative and transferable skills, develop the capacity for independent learning.
To be agreed with Internship Supervisor.
Mode of instruction
- Research conducted during internship (200 hours)
- Research proposal (20 hours)
- Research paper (40 hours)
- Presentation (20 hours)
- Research proposal: 10%
- Research paper of 4,000 words: 70%
- Presentation: 20%
To be agreed with the academic internship supervisor.
Students can sign up via uSis.
For additional information on internships, see the website of Leiden University’s Careers Service.