Korean Language at TOPIK II-5 level. Open to MA Asian Studies students: Korea Studies (120 credits); East Asian Studies (60 credits) – Korea track;
Critical reading of Korean language materials on the subject of North Korean art and culture. In weekly tutorial meetings, students summarize and reflect on the reading assignment, with special attention to the writing and argumentation style of the article.
This course has the following goals:
* to improve the Korean reading skills;
* to introduce the state of the field
* to develop a research methodology;
* to develop deep reading skills of written and visual materials;
* to further develop writing skills;
* to further develop presentation skills.
The timetable is available on the Asianstudies website
Mode of instruction
Total course load for the course: 140 hours.
Continuous assessment through weekly assignments. Final grades will be determined by the following formula:
* Attendance & active participation in class discussions (15%)
* Presentations (15%)
* Weekly reading reports (70%) (500 words max.- article summary)
Attendance policy: a strict attendance policy is imposed. Missing more than three sessions gets you barred from further attending the course and your papers may not be graded. Any absences must be notified in advance. Dispensation from the attendance rule is possible in consultation with the coordinator of studies and for valid reasons only. Weekly reading assignments cannot be missed.
Students may request an oral elucidation of the assessment within 30 days after publication of the grade.
Literature assignments will be announced on Blackboard will also be used for handing in the weekly reading assignments.
A reading list will be included in the syllabus to be uploaded on Blackboard.