BA3- course “Klassiek Japans 2” or comparable course. When in doubt, please contact instructor.
This course consists of intensive reading of literary and/or historical texts in classical Japanese for MA students who have successfully completed their studies of Classical Japanese at BA level.
- Understand vocabulary in Japanese cultural history
- Expand grammatical knowledge and refine reading skills
- Refine translation skills
- Use dictionaries and other relevant sources
The timetable is available on the Asianstudies website
Mode of instruction
Total course 10 EC x 28 hours= 280 hours
* Weekly seminars: 12 × 2 hours (24 hours total)
* Preparation seminars: 12 × 8 hours (96 hours total)
* Presentation(s): 20 hours
* Final writtena ssignment: 140 hours
- participation (including presentation) 50%
- final written assignement, with translation/reading element (± 3,000 words) 50%.
The final grade for the course is established by determining the weighted average.
The end-term paper is written in two stages: a first version, which will be commented on, and a final version. Students who do not meet the deadline for the first version will lose the right to get comments and will only be graded based on their final version. Students who do not meet the deadline for the final version, will get a failing grade.
In order to pass the course, students must obtain an overall mark of 5.50 (=6) or higher. A new assignment to replace the written work may be written if the overall mark for the course is “5.49” (=5) or lower. The deadline for this version will be determined in consultation.
The course is an integrated whole. All categories must be completed in the same academic year. No partial marks can be carried over into following years.
Students may request an oral elucidation of the assessment within 30 days after publication of the grade.
Blackboard(https://blackboard.leidenuniv.nl/) will be used for:
* readings; assignments
Students must self-enrol on Blackboard, which is used for posting syllabus, class communications, and essay submission.
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs