Knowledge of the Hittite language [Hittite I]. (Knowledge of cuneiform recommended, but not compulsory)
This course aims to deepen the knowledge of the Hittite language and the cultural history of Anatolia. A selection of Hittite texts of various genres will be read (partly in Hittite, partly in translation), including historical, religious, literary and juridical documents. In class, the linguistic and grammatical aspects of the texts will be discussed, as well as their social-historical context. Students will read source texts and articles in preparation for each class and give one presentation about a topic of his or her choosing at the end of the course.
Students are expected to attend the weekly seminars of the BA course ‘Hittitische teksten (Hittite texts)’.
- will deepen their knowledge of the Hittite Language;
- will gain insight into the culture, religion and political history of Anatolia during the Hittite Empire (1650-1180 BCE);
- will become familiar with recent discussions and literature in the field of Hittitology;
- learn to assess and contextualize the available source material and become familiar with the methodological problems involved in their interpretation.
Please consult the Classics and Ancient Civilizations website.
Mode of instruction
Total course load 10 ec x 28 hours= 280 hours:
- 26 hours attending seminars;
- 56 hours for preparing class and making assignments
- 198 hours for presentation and writing paper
The final grade of this course consists of the following elements:
- oral presentation (20%);
- class participation & assignments (20%)
- term paper (60%)
The final mark for the course is established by determining the weighted average.
If the overall mark is unsatisfactory, only the paper may be re-written.
Blackboard will be used for:
- course material, communication.
A reading list will be provided at the beginning of the course.
Exchange and Study Abroad students: please see the Study in Leiden website for information on how to apply.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Studeren à la carte not applicable for this course.