Bachelor of Physics with the course Physics of Elementary Particles or a clear equivalent. Recommended Effective Field Theory, QFT
This course will discuss the foundation and the structure of the Standard Model of the particle physics. Content of the course:
1. From relativistic Quantum Mechanics to Quantum Field Theory
2. Weak and strong interactions
3. Model of Fermi and model of Yukawa
4. Internal inconsistencies of Fermi model. Ways to resolve them
5. Predictions of massive vector bosons
6. Non-Abelian gauge symmetries and their spontaneous breaking
7. Higgs field and Higgs boson
8. Electroweak theory
9. Sketchy overview of Quantum Chromodynamics and modern views on strong interactions
10. Main observational problems “beyond the Standard Model”
The course will give an historical approach for building the SM and discuss the different possibilities on the way of its establishing. The connection between Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Theory will be discussed, the examples of QFT calculation will be given. Then the SM will be derived using experimental observations.
Mode of instruction
Lectures and seminars
Homeworks – 40%
Written exam – 60%
Final grade is a sum of grades for the homeworks and exam.
Exam can be retaken
Blackboard is used for obtaining homework and materials from lectures.
To have access to Blackboard you need a ULCN-account.Blackboard UL
1) J. Horejsi “ Introduction to Electroweak Unification: Standard Model
from Tree Unitarity”
2) “Gauge Theory of elementary particle physics” (any edition)
by Ta-Pei Cheng and Ling-Fong Li
3) As a general reference for Quantum Field theory the book by
M.E. Peskin and D.V.Schroeder, “An Introduction to Quantum Field
Theory” (any edition) or by book M.D. Schwartz ‘’Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model’’ (any edition).
Dr. Alexey Boyarsky