- Klassiek Chinees 1 and 2.
- Klassiek Chinees 3a is desirable.
- Students should be proficient in English: all assignments and the final paper must be written in English.
In this course we will read a selection of anecdotes and narrative accounts that address different aspects of art and the social role of artistic undertakings in imperial China.
Anecdotes provide the reader entertaining stories on the events that took place around art production and consumption, complementing theoretical texts that discuss the aesthetic value of art. They may present the artist as a virtuous genius, discuss mysterious events, address matters of connoisseurship, or even aim to transmit moralizing messages to tricksters and forgers.
The various short texts that will be translated into English during this course date from the Tang to the late Qing, and are taken from a variety of sources, which include both imperially sanctioned and private records. We will also look into the background of these sources to engage the texts critically.
- Improve students’ ability to interpret classical texts;
- Develop translation skills;
- Expand students’ vocabulary, focusing on terms specific to the field of art history;
- Critical engagement with classical sources.
Mode of instruction
EC: 5 x 28 = 140 hours
• Lectures (13 weeks x 2 h): 26 hours
• Preparation for class: 78 hours
• Hand-in translations and preparation: 36 hours
• Class assignments and participation: 20 %
• In-class quizzes: 10 %
• Midterm translation: 20 %
• Final translation: 50 %
The final mark for the course is established by the weighted average.
How and when an exam review will take place will be disclosed together with the publication of the exam results at the latest. If a student requests a review within 30 days after publication of the exam results, an exam review will have to be organized.
Yes, Blackboard will be used for:
• Selected course readings
The reading material will be made available through Blackboard and a reserve shelf.
Enrolment through uSis is mandatory.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs