Coordinator: Herman Spaink
Fundamental science of cooking
Although most people regularly cook, they generally do not consider the science behind it. To understand what happens when we cook food, you need to be familiar with the underlying biological, chemical and physical principles. In this course you will learn the fundamental science of cooking. The course consists of four themes, thought as separate courses:
Theme I: Microbiology and food safety,
Theme II: food chemistry,
Theme III: physics of food and water,
Theme IV: Physiology and health.
Theme I: Microbiology and food safety
In Theme I, Microbiology and food safety, the basics of hygiene and food microbiology will be covered. The theory on fermentation and its application in food preservation, flavor enhancement and the production of food ingredients will be covered and the students will be able to do some basic biotechnological calculations on this. The students will apply their knowledge in a beer fermentation practical.
- Students can describe the properties of various food-related pathogens.
- Students can explain the effects of microorganisms on food and can describe the applications.
- Students can explain and distinguish between the different modes of food preservation
- Students can describe the importance of hygiene in food preparation.
- Students can analyze and interpret basic fermentation data.
- Students know and understand the scientific foundations (theories, methods, techniques) of food fermentation and can understand scientific publications in the field.
- Students can apply various microbiological techniques to answer research questions in food microbiology.
- Students can document and present results.
Period: September – January
Or: February - June
Mode of instruction
Lectures, practicals, tutorials, case study.
The grade is determined based on an exam (50%) and the practical grade (50%). The practical grade is determined by labwork (25%) and reporting (75%).
Blackboard will be used for communication and exchange of documents
Course materials will be provided by the teachers.
This course is part of the programme Science of Cooking, a student is required to follow all course included in this programme.
To register for this programme send an email with cv and motivation letter via email@example.com. Deadline for registration is 15th of June 2018.