Coordinator: Albert Langedijk
This course is part of the elective program “Science of cooking”. Although most people regularly cook, they generally do not consider the science behind it. What is actually the purpose of cooking your food? Why do eggs solidify when heated? What is the best way to prepare steak and why? Why do fruits turn brown when you cut them? To understand what happens when we cook food, you need to be familiar with the underlying biological, chemical and physical principles. This elective program consists of theoretical courses of 20 ECTS in total and a practical of 10 ECTS.
Science of cooking research project
In the practical we will apply the theory in the (cooking) lab. The students will conduct a research project where they either formulate their own research question, or choose a research question suggested by the teaching team. The students will write a project proposal for a go / no go. The proposal should include a theoretical background and a detailed plan, ingredients, equipment, planning, safety. This plan is presented in the group for feedback. Subsequently, the students will carry out the research project: perform the experiments, and write a report. An excursion to a top-restaurant kitchen will be part of the practical.
- Students can apply scientific thinking to answer and interpret research questions in relation to science of cooking. (Studenten kunnen laten zien dat zij onderzoeksvragen in relatie tot science of cooking op een wetenschappelijke manier kunnen beantwoorden en interpreteren.)
- Students can apply practical skills needed to answer research questions in relation to science of cooking
- Students know and understand the scientific foundations (theories, methods, techniques) of food science and can understand scientific publications in the field.
- Students can apply various techniques in food science to answer research questions in this field.
- Students can document and present results.
Period: September – January
Or: February - June
Mode of instruction
Video report in the research project and the results with peer assessment for all the student groups.
Blackboard will be used for communication and exchange of documents
Course materials will be provided by the teachers.
This course is part of the programme Science of Cooking, a student is required to follow all course included in this programme.
To register for this programme send an email with cv and motivation letter via firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for registration is 15th of June 2018.