A completed introduction to experimental phonetics.
In this laboratory practice students are introduced in common techniques, equipment and sofware used in experimental linguistics (with an emphasis on phonetics), e.g. PRAAT and E-Prime, by ways of practical assigments.
- Knowledge and insight in the equipment and software (e.g. PRAAT, E-Prime) used in experimental linguistic/phonetic research
- Knowledge how to use the techniques and software in practical applications.
- Flexible use of the techniques and software in different situations
- Add features to the software using simple scripts
The timetable is available on the MA Linguistics website
Mode of instruction
The course load of this course is 140 hours.
- Hours spent on attending lectures and seminars: 14 * 2
- Time for studying the compulsory literature: 14 * 2
- Time to setup and complete a weekly experiment: 14 * 4
- Time to write/correct a comprehensive report 14 * 2
- Obligatory attendance
- Weekly practical assignments
- Weekly written report on the way the practical assignment was performed.
Students are entitled to view their marked examination within a period of 30 days, following publication of the results of a written examination.
Blackboard will be used to provide students with an overview of current affairs, as well as specific information about (components of) the course.
The syllabus “Analysis and Synthesis of Speech” (can be obtained at Studiepunt)
**When registering, students that are registered for the specialisation that this course belongs to, or the Research Master, take priority. The deadline for registration is August 15. All other students should contact the coordinator of studies.
General information about uSis is available on the website.
Please contact Student administration van Eyckhof