BA3- course “Classical Chinees III” or comparable course.
This course consists of intensive reading of late Ming and early Qing texts in classical Chinese language for MA students who have successfully completed their studies of Classical Chinese at the BA level. We will read documents in a variety of genres, including scenes from chuanqi drama, huaben short stories, poetry, essays, and novels.
- Become familiar with a cross-section of the variant genres and writing styles that existed in late Imperial China.
- Expand grammatical knowledge and refine reading skills
- Refine translation skills
- Use dictionaries and other relevant sources
The timetable is available on the Asianstudies website
Mode of instruction
Total 280 hours (10 EC x 28 hours)
- Seminar 2 ×13 hours: 26 hours (6 extra hours for students of the Research MA)
- Compulsory readings: 86 hours
- Class Assignments: 62 hours
- Term paper: 100 hours
- Class participation and assignments 40%
- Final Essay 60%
Students must complete all requirements (participation, assignments, final essay) to pass the course.
There is no resit opportunity for participation and assignments. The resit for the final essay is only available to students whose final grade is insufficient. The resit will then make up 100% of the grade.
Students may request an oral elucidation of the assessment within 30 days after publication of the grade.
Blackboard is used in the course.
Students must self-enrol on Blackboard, which is used for posting syllabus, class communications, and essay submission.