This course interweaves sustainable approaches from multiple disciplines to programmes and projects on the African continent. Through innovative education methods, including flipped classrooms, seminars and a conference, students take an in-depth look at the African continent from different perspectives in three modules (I) African Social Dynamics (II) African Resources & Infrastructure, and (III) African Economies.
Interweave approaches from multiple disciplines in sustainability programmes and projects on the African continent.
Objective: To gain a basic understanding of the relevance of the SDGs with regards to current realities in Africa.
Learning Outcomes: Students will be able to:
1) debate global indicators and targets of the SDGs
2) identify key competencies required for achieving the SDGs
3) identify African resources, infrastructure and socio-economic challenges and opportunities
4) align challenges and opportunities with SDGs
5) contextualise challenges and opportunities within own discipline
Mode of instruction
Further modes of instruction
- Online flipped classroom
10 EC x 28 hours= 280 hours
- Lectures: 72.5 hours
- Preparation tutorials: Flipped online: 28 hours
- Study of compulsory literature: 89.5 hours
- Assignment(s): 58 hours
- Exam(s): Essays: 24 hours
- Other components: Conference: 8 hours
Assessment method and weights
Online examination multiple choice (20%)
Group report & 1 day conference (50%)
Three contextualisation essays (30%)
Same subtest as the first, within given timeframe.
Inspection and feedback
How and when an exam review will take place will be disclosed together with the publication of the exam results at the latest. If a student requests a review within 30 days after publication of the exam results, an exam review will have to be organized.
Blackboard will be used for:
*Assignments submission of papers
*Assignment multiple choice
Booklists to follow (Strive to only use library and online publications).
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs
Prof. Dr. M. (Marleen Dekker):profile
Madi Ditmars profile
Contact: All communications to