In this course the core concepts of public international law will be discussed in considerable depth. The course will cover the traditional curriculum of public international law, including subjects, sources, responsibility and sanctions as well as various of the sub-areas of international law. Contemporary issues such as the use of force, terrorism, respect for human rights, protection of the environment, law of the sea, and international economic law will also be examined. The course will build on the introductions to public international law as offered in most BA-programmes in law. It will be presupposed that all students have such a basic knowledge. It will particularly focus on recent state practice and judicial decisions.
Objectives of the course
The main purpose of the course is to provide students with a thorough knowledge of public international law as a necessary basis for further study and career in this field. In addition, research and writing skills are trained through writing two different essays.
The following achievement levels apply with regard to the course:
After successfully completing this course, students have a thorough knowledge of and insight into the existing legal framework, the fundaments and the system of public international law. The students have a profound knowledge of the specific rules and regulations that were studied during the course and of the interrelationship between those rules. They understand how international law can operate as a system. Moreover, the students are well aware of the political and social context in which these rules are applied.
Academic skills and attitude:
After successfully completing this course, students are able to interpret and analyse the relevant literature and sources critically and to present solutions for legal problems after thorough legal research. Students are also trained to present these solutions both orally and in writing in a structured way. Students are able to present their own opinion on relevant legal matters on the basis of sound and convincing legal arguments and to defend this opinion in a legal debate.
Mode of instruction
- Number of (2 hour) lectures: 10 (1 per week)
- Names of lecturers: Dr. R.W. Heinsch, Dr. F. Baetens, Dr. L.J. van den Herik , and others
- Required preparation by students: Reading of materials as prescribed in the outline that can be found on Blackboard as well
- Number of (2 hour) seminars: 10 (1 per week)
- Names of instructors: Dr. R.W. Heinsch, Dr. F. Baetens, Dr. L.J. van den Herik and others
- Required preparation by students: Reading the materials, preparing answers to the questions and issues raised on Blackboard and a total of two written assignments.
Other methods of instruction
- Oral exam (50%)
- Two papers (50%)
The written assignments will be handed in at the start of the respective seminars to which they relate. Students will have to hand them in both electronically and in hard copy.
Areas to be tested within the exam
The examination syllabus consists of the required reading (literature) for the course, the course information guide and the subjects taught in the lectures, the seminars and all other instructions which are part of the course.
More information on this course is offered on “Blackboard”: http://blackboard.leidenuniv.nl/.
Obligatory course materials
- M.D. Evans (ed.), International Law, 3rd ed., Oxford University Press, 2010
- Blackstone’s, International Law Documents, 9th ed., Oxford University Press, 2009.
Course information guide:
- Outline as posted on Blackboard
- No reader
Recommended course materials
- To be announced on Blackboard
- Co-ordinator: Dr. R.W. Heinsch
- Work address: KOG, Office B1.26
- Contact information: via e-mail
- Telephone number: 071-527 7578 (secretary)
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institute: Public Law
- Division: Public International Law
- Room number secretariat: KOG, Office B1.21
- Opening hours: 9.00 – 17.00 hrs
- Telephone number secretariat: 071-5277578
- E-mail: email@example.com
Belangstellenden die deze cursus in het kader van contractonderwijs willen volgen (met tentamen), kunnen meer informatie vinden over kosten, inschrijving, voorwaarden, etc. op de website van Juridisch PAO.