- Pronunciation. The course aims to help you improve your English pronunciation. Not only will you be analysing and practicing individual sounds; intonation, stress and rhythm are also part of the programme, especially in the second part of the course.
- Varieties of English. Although the language labs focus on either British or American English, these are not the only important varieties of English in the world. For that reason, you will also be learning to recognise and describe the most dominant varieties of English in the world and the connotations of the various accents.
- pronounce British or American English naturally and understandably, and possible like a native speaker, with a natural intonation and rhythmic pattern
- identify and describe other students’ pronunciation issues
- understand the connotations of varieties of English
- identify the pronunciation characteristics of international varieties of English
The timetable will be available by June 1st at: hum.leidenuniv.nl/engels/roosters
Mode of instruction
Weekly 2-hour seminars.
- homework: 20%
- exam: 40%
- pronunciation/listening test: 40%
For each of these components, students should get a minimum of 5
This course is supported by Blackboard.
Reader “Language Acquisition 2: From Ash to Affricate”; to be bought at the ‘Studiepunt’.
Students should register through uSis. Exchange students cannot register through uSis, but must see the director of studies and register with her. If you have any questions, please contact the departmental office, tel. 071 5272144 or mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exchange and Study Abroad students, please see the Study in Leiden website for information on how to apply.
Departmental Office English Language and Culture, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 102C. Tel. 071 5272144; mail: email@example.com.
Studentcounsellor Bachelor: Ms. S.H.J. Bollen, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 103B.
Coordinator of Studies Master: Ms. K. van der Zeeuw-Filemon, P.N. van Eyckhof 4, room 103C.