This course provides an insight into the interaction between European law and information technology. Topics include Copy Right and Database Protection, the Development of Internet, Electronic Signatures, Telecommunications and Standardisation, Electronic Commerce, and Personal Data Protection.
Particular attention will be paid to European harmonisation and liberalisation measures.
objectives of the course:
- To provide current European ICT-legal topics.
- To obtain knowledge about current legal topics concerning European ICT Law
See: www.leidenuniv.nl/rechten/osi/wg. This course is given twice: once in the 2nd part of the Fall semester and once in the 1st part of the Spring semester.
Mode of instruction
- Number of (2 hour) lectures: Six
- Names of lecturers: Prof. dr. R.E. van Esch; Prof. dr. H.J. van den Herik; dr. M. Voulon LL.M; J.A. Tempelman LL.M; dr. A.C. Beunen LL.M; dr. G.J. Zwenne LL.M
- Required preparation by students: Reading the materials (in the reader)
- Written exam (open book).
Areas to be tested within the exam
The examination syllabus consists of the required reading (literature) as per the course information guide and the subjects discussed during classes and all other instructions which are part of the course.
More information on this course is offered in “Blackboard”: http://blackboard.leidenuniv.nl/.
Obligatory course materials
- The reader will be available at the study materials desk located at the Faculty of Law room A0.45
Recommended course materials:
Students have to register for courses and exams through “U-twist”: https://ics06.leidenuniv.nl/tisweb/menu.
- Coordinator: Mr. M. Linnartz
- Work address: KOG, Steenschuur 25, Leiden, room B3.24
- Telephone number: +31 (0)71 527 8838
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Institution: Meta Juridica/Jurisprudence
- Division: eLaw@Leiden, Centre for Law in the Information Society, Leiden University
- Room number secretariat: KOG, room B3.28
- Opening hours: Monday – Friday. 09.00 – 17.00hrs
- Telephone number secretariat: +31 (0)71 527 8838
- E-mail: email@example.com