Grammatical and lexical knowledge of Middle Egyptian is put to practice in reading literary texts from the Middle Kingdom.
This course teaches students to develop strategies for transliterating and translating hieroglyphic texts.
- Two times two hours per week.
- The time table is available through the website of the department.
Mode of instruction
One midterm examination worth 35% and a final examination worth 65%. No dictionaries or other aids may be used.
A maximum of 4 (out of 26) classes may be missed with good reason (at the discretion of the instructor).
- A.H. Gardiner,Egyptian Grammar, 3e editie Oxford 1957, or later reprint;
- A. de Buck,Egyptian Readingbook, Leiden 1948, or later reprint;
- K. Sethe,Ägyptische Lesestücke, Darmstadt 1959, or later reprint*
- R. Faulkner,A Concise Dictionary of Middle Egyptian, Oxford 1962, or later reprint.
*Purchase is advised
Registration through “uSis”:http://usis.leidenuniv.nl
“Dr. H.M. Hays”:mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org