Introductory courses in (Predicate) Logic and Philosophy of Language.
Knowledge of German is a help in the study of Frege.
Frege’s work is becoming recognized as the foundation of analytical philosophy; central here is his theory of Sinn and Bedeutung . The course will study this theory using the textbook Mark Textor, Frege on Sense and Reference and Frege’s original papers. Particular attention will be given to the epistemological dimension to Frege’s work.
Course objectives will be posted on Blackboard by the start of the course.
Mode of instruction
- Lectures and seminars
- Research and literature study
- Presentation during the course and active particpation (sine qua non, but not given grade).
- Final paper on topic chosen in agreement with the course teacher.
- MA students have to study a selection of recent articles on Frege’s work, chosen in consultation with the course teacher/examiner and write a more substantial essay with these as a point of departure.
Blackboard will be used for posting of messages, texts, and reading assignments.
- Mark Textor, Frege on Sense and Reference, London: Routledge 2011.
- The chosen Frege texts and relevant secondary literature will be posted as the course progresses.
Registration Studeren à la carte and Contractonderwijs